- 1 medium-sized purple yam
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup shredded toasted coconut
- 2 teaspoons active dried yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut milk, lukewarm
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temp and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut shavings
Passo a passo
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash the sweet potato and prick with a fork.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until very soft.
- Allow the yam to cool slightly and then peel the skin off.
- Place in a saucepot with the other paste ingredients and mash with a potato masher.
- Turn heat on medium-low and cook while stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Add the yeast, coconut milk and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, egg and salt and mix, using the dough hook, on medium-low speed.
- Slowly add the flour and mix until well incorporated. Continue kneading the dough in the mixer for 5 minutes. Dough should be quite sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise for 2 hours.
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan and line with a piece of parchment paper, long enough to hang over the edges.
- Flour a work surface and roll the dough into a 10 by 18 inch rectangle.
- Spread the ube filling over the dough.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top and then starting with a long side roll the dough into a cylinder.
- Cut the cylinder in half lengthwise, and with the cut sides up wrap each piece over the other, like a rope. Place the wrapped dough into the loaf pan and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the bread with egg wash and place in the oven to bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- When the bread is done baking remove from oven and brush with syrup, then sprinkle with toasted coconut shavings.