- 4 ripe and firm tomatoes, ½ in. chunks
- 3 Persian cucumbers, ½ in. chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, ½ in. chunks
- 1 medium carrot, ½ in. dice
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup raw tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Ice water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
Passo a passo
- Put tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, carrot, onion, parsley and mint in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season with sumac salt and pepper.
- Pour the raw tahini into a medium bowl and add the lemon juice.
- Mix with a fork or whisk until the color turns a shade lighter. That texture may become weird and lumpy; don’t worry this is okay.
- Gradually whisk in about ½ cup water will make a thick dip; whisk in another ¼ cup or so to make a thinner sauce, if you’d like.
- Keep tinkering with water, lemon juice, and tahini until you get the consistency and flavor you like.
- Whisk in the salt and garlic.
- Taste and adjust your seasonings.