- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced ¾ inch thick
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground caraway
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Soda water
- 1 cup grapeseed or other neutral oil, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt
Passo a passo
- Soak the leek disks in water for 20 minutes, lightly swishing them in the water with your hands.
- Drain the water and repeat once more. Drain and lay the leek disks on a kitchen towel or paper towels to dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cumin, coriander, and caraway.
- Whisk in the milk and add soda water as needed: the consistency should be smooth and like that of thick pancake batter. Stir in the leeks.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron pan, bring the 1 cup of grapeseed oil up to 350°F over medium-high heat.
- Drop 2-tablespoon dollops of leek batter into the hot oil and shallow-fry, flipping the fritters over if they’re not completely submerged in the oil, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt immediately.