- 1 large head cabbage
- 1 cup grated beet
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
Passo a passo
- Chop up the cabbage.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle cabbage with salt and massage until there is plenty of liquid and the cabbage softens (about 10 minutes).
- Mix in one cup of grated beets for every 5 cups of cabbage and add in juniper berries.
- Stuff the cabbage into your sanitized container, pressing the cabbage underneath the liquid (if necessary, add a bit of water to ensure sufficient liquid). All the cabbage should be submerged under the liquid.
- Use a small jar filled with beans (or any other clean, weighted item) to press the cabbage under the liquid.
- Cover the jar with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band or twine.
- Allow the sauerkraut to culture for 3 to 10 days at room temperature or until it's bubbly and tangy to your liking. Transfer to cold storage.