- 12 ounces dried pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups refried beans
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 to 6 hot sauce packets
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Passo a passo
- Add the beans to a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Place them in a medium sized pot and cover with water. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Drain.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and the onion, garlic and cumin. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the beans and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans adding water a couple tablespoons at a time while you mash.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the tortillas directly on the oven rack and toast for 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread beans on the top of each tortilla and top with lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese and hot sauce.