- 8 cups water
- Vegetable scraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 butter pats
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces, ends removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Passo a passo
- Add all of the vegetable scraps to a pot with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain out vegetable scraps, then leave the broth over low heat while you make the risotto.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil and butter.
- Next add the leeks and garlic and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the farro and toast for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add a ladleful of stock to the pan with the farro, allowing it to simmer until liquid has nearly evaporated.
- Now add the wine and stir.
- When that has evaporated, add another ladleful of stock.
- Continue to add stock and stir while simmering until farro is almost fully cooked, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- In the last 5 to 8 minutes stir in the peas and asparagus and continue to cook until the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the herbs and cheese.